African enterprises, cooperatives, and producer groups with innovative solutions that extend their own capabilities to increase revenues, create jobs, improve farmer incomes, and achieve sustainable market-based growth are being invited by the U.S. African Development Foundation to summit their proposals for grant financing and local support.
Who is eligible?
Proposals are only be accepted from registered agricultural cooperatives, small-scale producer groups, and agricultural processors working directly in certain sectors.
Only 100% African-owned enterprises, associations or cooperatives operating in an African country. Applicants must be legally registered in their country, with a with a proven ability to track, manage, and use internal and external resources to achieve growth.
The majority of USADF's funding agreements range between $100,000 and $250,000. USADF does not provide funding to government agencies, political parties, or organizations that are not based in Africa
Successful Proposals Must;
- Have a clearly defined market opportunity to grow revenues that can increase farmer incomes.
- Have a clearly defined plan of how they can increase revenues and farmer incomes in 2- 4 years.
- Be able to make significant cash or in-kind contributions toward making the project successful.
- Be able to impact hundreds of farmers.
- Be able to identify additional financing options available after the USADF grant ends.
- The organization must be 100% African-owned and managed by country nationals.
- The organization must be a legally registered African entity (or in the process of becoming legally registered. Registration must be completed before any funding may be provided).
- The organization must demonstrate that it has successfully worked together and has the capability to effectively use grants funds..
- The ownership and management must be in agreement on the problem to be addressed and have a commitment to benefit their community.
- The organization must have basic functional management and controls to account for USADF funds.
- Completed Application Form. – Required
- Copy of a valid organization or enterprise registration form. – Required
- Most Recent Business Plan. – Preferred but Optional
- Two Years of Financial Statements – Preferred but Optional
Grant Application Instructions
Send a copy of the completed application form and a copy of the registration document to the address listed below for your country. Be sure to include a copy of your recent business plan and financial statements if you have them. Note: USADF is only accepting applications from cooperatives, associations, or enterprises directly involved in the sectors listed for each country in the table here. USADF is not accepting applications from NGOs. Application materials submitted after January 29, 2018 will not be considered.
(For assistance with estimating revenues and income for application question number 5 in section C, click on the following link.)
(For assistance with estimating your contribution level for application question number 2 in section D, click on the following link.)
Grant Application Selection, Award and Implementation Process
USADF will review all applications and will contact those organizations that best fit country strategies and objectives. A site visit will be conducted and finalists will be referred to USADF Washington for a final assessment and selection. Once an application is selected by USADF Washington, a local USADF Technical Partner will be assigned to the organization to help complete additional Grant Design and Budget steps. After the design steps are completed USADF will enter into a formal agreement to award grant funds to the organization. The USADF Technical Partner will continue to assist the organization during the grant implementation period. Grant funds are disbursed to the organization over the grant period as the organization achieves the plans, activities, and outcomes of the grant design. Grant organizations report to USADF on a quarterly basis.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, kindly do it here.
Update: GRANT PROPOSAL PERIOD Started NOVEMBER 15, 2017 AND CLOSED since JANUARY 29, 2018. Please stay tuned and wait for the next batch.